If you’re considering using a sperm donor, you have probably tried many other methods to conceive without success. We understand that you may be experiencing a sense of loss and you may feel let down by your own body. Many couples are also concerned about what effects using a sperm donor may have on their relationships. At Vitalab, we aim to educate and assist you during every phase of the process, so that you can make an informed decision and allow yourself to get excited about this option.
Vitalab Cryobank South Africa (VCSA) is a highly experienced and specialised sperm bank that offers patients within South Africa the opportunity to select sperm donors which have been sourced from international sperm banks. We can assist patients who are receiving treatment from any clinic and location within South Africa, you do not have to be a Vitalab patient to access the sperm bank. Benefits of utilising an international sperm donor from VCSA:
• Aged between 19 and 38 years.
• Anonymous donors.
• Strict semen assessment performed to ensure the semen quality (count, motility and morphology).
• Full donor profile including social, medical and family information along with a baby/childhood picture.
• Minimum of a tertiary qualification.
• Extensive testing including psychological assessment, criminal background check, infectious disease testing, urinalysis, blood panel, semen analysis and physical examination.
• Genetic evaluation which includes extensive genetic testing and an in-depth family history risk assessment done by a genetic counsellor.
• VCSA adheres to the South African regulation of no more than 12 live births per sperm donor.
Read more about VCSA here.
Sperm Donation Is a Safe, Effective Method For:
• couples who cannot conceive due to male infertility
• single women wanting to start a family
• couples in same-sex relationships
At Vitalab, we refer patients to local cryobanks (where donor sperm is stored), because the process is simpler and less expensive than using those in different countries. Should you wish to use a cryobank in another country, however, we can certainly assist in the process.
Prior to choosing a sperm donor, Vitalab offers counselling during which the process will be explained and concerns put to rest. We’ll answer your questions and provide some perspective so that you can make an informed decision. We believe this to be a vitally important part of the process.
Once you’ve decided that using a sperm donor is right for you, you will gain access to the sperm donor profiles. Sperm donors in South Africa remain anonymous and their identities are legally protected, but the donor profiles include information like age, physical characteristics, ethnic background, educational background, occupation, health, hobbies and interests. All donors undergo a screening process that involves blood tests for diseases like HIV/Aids and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The semen is also analysed to ensure that the sperm is viable for donation.
Once you have selected a sperm donor, you will be ready to start the treatment cycle. If you think using a sperm donor is right for you, contact Vitalab and let us walk you through the entire process.
At Vitalab we import only the highest quality sperm and our recipients are guaranteed the utmost care when it comes to donor selection. We are also in the process of setting up a local sperm bank and we will advise when applications will be open for donors. 𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗲 𝗱𝗼 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗺 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲.